Friday, June 29, 2007

Goodbye Ginger Cookies

After reading the ice cream expose, I became curious about how much fat and sugar are in my favourite “treats”. Yesterday, as I was contemplating how great a latte and ginger cookie would taste during a little post-work siesta, I thought I would check the cookie’s nutritional breakdown, just for fun. I knew it wouldn’t be the best snack, but it was just a cookie, right? WRONG! The Starbucks Ginger Molasses Cookie has 400 calories and 14g of fat. I didn’t think the cookie weighed more than 14g but it must weigh at least 50g because it also has 39g of sugar. No wonder they taste so good! (I checked, one cookie is 100g).

Just in case you were wondering, the chocolate croissant, my other favourite, is worse. It has 420 calories, 24g of fat and 4g of sugar. That’s almost an entire meal and almost all of my daily fat allowance!

This just supports my general rule about food. If it tastes good, it’s bad for you.

- Allison

1 comment:

sue said...

400 calories is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as if.